Kent Police Green Guardians East Division, which has over 300 members, rolled out the Every Can Counts programme to each of the six police stations in the area in December 2018. The team wanted to raise awareness and influence behaviour change to reduce the carbon footprint of Kent Police by upgrading the recycling facilities available to their staff. Working alongside their waste contractor, SUEZ recycling and recovery UK, the team created dedicated recycling points at each station to ensure waste was segregated correctly and contamination was minimised. The scheme has been so successful that the programme is being rolled out across the North and West divisions of Kent Police, as well as the Force Headquarters.
What we did
• Provided each station with recycling collection boxes and promotional resources
• Each recycling station has a notice board carrying Every Can Counts branded materials
• Provided information about the programme to staff via email updates
How it counted
• Around 500 drink cans a day are now collected for recycling, instead of going to an Energy from Waste facility.
• Awarded a Green Can Award in July 2019 in recognition of their recycling efforts.
• Have been selected by DEFRA to be a case study for the ‘Year of Green Action’ website